Friday, 23 August 2013

British School

Hello! This blog is going to be about what school is like in Britain! I decided to do this blog as I thought that I had no idea what school was like in America really when the talk about Kindergarden and things like that and seen as I have readers in America (HEY!), I thought I would tell you what it is like for us here in the UK!

So in the UK we have basically Nursery, which is for children from 2-3 ish but some go earlier and here they just play and it helps their parents be free of them for a while! It's a bit like a giant babysitter where children go to learn and play! I had an interesting nursery experience as I didn't want to leave my mum so I ended up kicking my head teacher as she had picked me up so my mum could leave me to go to work! But after that I believe it went okay and I met my best friend in the world Eliza!

Then from there we go to Primary school! Now here you stay from about 3-11. I went to a little Primary school not far from where I live and I loved it - most of the time! You go through Reception which is up to age 4 and there you just play some more! Then you go into Years 1 and 2 which is until you are about 6 and this is where you start to do some work like basic Maths and Number. Next you go into years 3 and 4 where you get to start writing with...wait for it....a PEN! Now this was very exciting for a six year old so don't judge! You also start to do a bit more difficult work and stay there until your 8. Finally after what seems like forever and many a Christmas play has passed, you get to years 5 and 6 and this is quite exciting as you are now very close to leaving and going to Secondary school. The work does start to get more difficult and you begin to get homework to prepare you for the masses you get when you go to Secondary school.

Now in Secondary school you have years 7,8,9,10 and 11; then you go onto Sixthform which is where you pick four subjects to do at A-level which is a step before University!

In years 7,8 and 9 you learn the basics in all the subjects such as History, Geography, Biology, ICT etc that will help you if you choose to do a GCSE in the subject.

A GCSE is basically a qualification which means that you study a subject in detail for two years and then have exams on it to test what you have learnt! Fun...not! You can pick four subjects to do aswell as the ones you have to do like English, Maths, Science, RE, Welsh!

I hope you enjoyed this blog and it has helped you understand school in the UK a little better! If anyone can help me improve my knowledge on American schools or schools anywhere I would love to here! Thanks for reading!

Bethan xx

No comments:

Post a Comment